The Magurans

The Magurans

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Tough Love - Night 1

Last night was the first night of "tough love" for Alex.  We decided we might as well take away his swaddle as well.  He's been sleeping without his swaddle during naptime but we put him on his tummy (and check on him every 5 minutes) to prevent his arms from flailing which wakes him up.  We didn't feel comfortable doing that at night since we wouldn't be able to check on him regularly.  Although the pediatrician said he could go 7-8 hours, we decided to start with 6 hours at least for the first week. 

It went really well.  He went right to sleep on his back at 9pm.  I heard a little bit of fussing at 12:15 at which point I turned off the monitor and set my alarm for 3 am.  Phil actually had a conference call from 2-4am so he was up at 1:30 and said all was quiet in his room.  When I woke up at 3 he was asleep.  I went in to peek at him - he was on his back with his little hands resting up by his chin.  He must have sensed me in the room because 2 minutes after I left I heard him start squeaking but he fell back to sleep by the time I got to his room.

He slept until 5am.  Such a good boy!  He did get shots at the doctor's office yesterday which might have contributed to his sleepiness but I would still say night number 1 was a success! 

No comments: